Notes from around the world of Tar Heels football.
* Officials in Charlotte, Chapel Hill and Columbia had been trying to keep the wraps on the news of a Tar Heel-Gamecock season opener in 2015 until a press conference scheduled for Thursday, but The Charlotte Observer beat everyone to the punch. Here are the specifics from Wednesday’s newspaper.
* The New York Jets have moved Quinton Coples to outside linebacker. “I feel good,” Coples said. “I think it’s definitely going to open up more opportunities for me to get to the quarterback and also show my athleticism and coverage.” Details from ESPN New York are here.
* Two Tar Heels who went unselected in the April NFL draft have signed on as free-agents. Receiver Jheranie Boyd has signed a free-agent deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Story from the Gastonia Gazette in Boyd’s hometown is here. Linebacker Kevin Reddick will join the New Orleans Saints, as noted in this story from the New Orleans Times-Picayune.
* Carolina’s home opener Sept. 7 against Middle Tennessee State has been designated as Lettermen’s Day. Mark it on your calendar and details of game-time and the pre-game barbecue will follow as soon as they are available.
* Rick Brewer looks back on the career of Tar Heel tailback Kelvin Bryant, who was inducted into the North Carolina Sports Hall of Fame last week in this piece on Goheels.com.